Born 1982, Rob Pointon has been painting since he was a child under the tutelage of his artist Grandmother, then, as an adult, graduated with a First Class Honours degree in Fine Art from Aberystwyth University before going on to study at The Royal Drawing School in London. Having been a full time professional artist since 2006, Rob’s skills have developed through his work on locations all around the UK and abroad. Originally from the Staffordshire moorlands Rob is now based in South Cheshire.
Rob paints entirely en plein air and has a particular interest in the use of multiple point perspective and movement within his paintings, evidenced strongly with his depiction of water and crowds.
Painting on location brings an added dynamic to his work, galvanised by the engagement with the passing audience who can witness the development of a painting as it happens.
As well as the RBSA, Rob is a member of MAFA (Manchester Academy of Fine Arts) and exhibits regularly in the ROI and NEAC exhibitions. Between 2016-2019 he is the International Artist in Residence for Manchester Airport, travelling to different direct destinations and bringing back exhibitions of work to be showcased in the terminals.
2004 – 2005 ‘The Drawing Year’, Postgraduate, The Royal Drawing School (formerly Prince’s Drawing School), London
2001 – 2004 Fine Art BA (1st Class), University of Wales, Aberystwyth
MAFA – Manchester Academy of Fine Arts (May 2016 -)
RBSA – Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (Apr 2016 -)
SSA – Staffordshire Society of Artists (Nov 2010 -)
SOLO – Manchester Airport Chinese New Year Exhibition with Cathay Pacific Airline (Feb 2016)
New English Art Club (Haworth Prize), Mall Galleries, London (2015)
Exhibited with The Royal Society of Oil Painters (ROI 2015)
SOLO – The Midland Hotel, Manchester with Colourfield Gallery (2015)
Exhibited with The Royal Society of Oil Painters (ROI 2014)
Drawing in private collection of Duchess of Devonshire, Chatsworth Drawing in the personal archive of HRH The Prince of Wales
24’ x 6’ Oil Painting on permanent display in the Council Chamber, Stoke-on-Trent, commissioned to commemorate 100years of the federation of the six towns
Two oil paintings in the collection at Weston Park
Awards and Honours
- Winner of the Haworth Prize, Mall Galleries, London 2016
- 3rd Prize, Buxton Spa Prize, 2016
- 2nd Prize, ROI Paint Live Competition, Dec 2015
- 2nd Place People’s Choice, Buxton Spa Prize, 2015
- Buxton Festival Choice Prize, Buxton Spa Prize, 2015
- 1st Prize Winner £1000, Staffordshire Open, Shire Hall Gallery (2014)
- Regional Artist Award £500, Halls Fine Art Open, Weston Park (Aug 2011)
- Visitors Choice Prize, Staffordshire Open, Shire Hall Gallery (2011)
- 24ft Oil Painting unveiled by HRH Prince of Wales to commemorate Stoke-on-Trent Centenary celebrations
- Open 09 1st Prize Winner, Newcastle Borough Museum & Art Gallery
- Young Artist Award from The National Association of Decorative & Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS) 2006
- Awarded Winsor & Newton Prize for British Museum work 2005
- Awarded Drawing Prize (Royal Drawing School) 2005
- Awarded bursary ‘The Drawing Year’ study at The Royal Drawing School 2004–05